The loss of your license and your good name are the real costs of a DUI.
Still, you might be wondering about the cost of hiring a DUI lawyer in Bucks County.
The truth is that there’s no easy answer to the question of how much you’ll pay to hire an attorney to fight your DUI case.
- A lawyer might charge a flat fee, or an hourly rate of about $100 to $300. You might find a lawyer who’ll give you a free consultation just to go over the facts of the case, but others will charge their hourly rate for the time.
- If it’s your first offense, and you’re prepared to plead guilty and not dispute the charges, you might spend anywhere from $500 to $4,000.
- The cost of a Bucks DUI lawyer could go even higher if you take your case to trial, anywhere from $2,000 to $25,000. The cost of hiring expert witnesses to try to debunk the prosecution’s evidence could add $2,000 to $7,000 to the price of your defense.
If cost is a key concern after your arrest, consider asking the attorneys you speak with these questions:
- Do you charge by the hour, or is there a flat fee?
- How much is your rate, and what does that include or not include?
- Is there room to negotiate?
- What other expenses may I have to pay, and what’s their estimated cost?
- How and when do you expect your payment?
The Key is a Good Defense, Not the Cost of a DUI Lawyer
We’ve talked about the potential cost of hiring a DUI lawyer. Here are some other numbers to consider:
- $300 to $12,000 – the cost of fines, fees and other penalties you’ll pay if convicted.
- $250 and up – the cost of recovering your car after it’s towed.
- $100 to 400 – the cost of attending DUI school.
- 450 percent – how much your car insurance can go up. (Experts say you should expect to pay at least $5,000 more a year for insurance after a DUI conviction.)
- Depending on who you ask, the overall cost of a DUI arrest can be quite high. Mothers Against Drunk Driving says a first time drunk driving case could cost over $10,000, but other reports put the price as high as $25,000.
- There are other costs we can’t really put numbers on. A DUI arrest and conviction will show up on background checks for future employers. If you’re in a profession that requires you to be licensed – doctor, nurse, stockbroker, lawyer – an arrest and conviction can affect that as well.
The obvious answer here is to tell people to be responsible, and not get behind the wheel when they’re impaired. But we know mistakes happen, and not just on the part of drivers. Arrests can be made on improperly or illegally obtained evidence.
That’s why the key factor here isn’t the cost of a Bucks DUI lawyer. It’s finding one who’ll provide you with a good defense.
Picking the Right DUI Lawyer in Bucks County
Getting arrested can be frightening, but you don’t have to go through this ordeal by yourself. At the Bucks County law firm of Pengalese & Benson, our DUI lawyers understand the stress you might feel after a DUI arrest.
By hiring one of our experienced attorneys, you’re gaining the knowledge you need to bring your case to the best possible conclusion.
When you’re arrested for and charged with DUI, police officers need to follow certain procedures, which include giving you a Breathalyzer and blood alcohol test.
If those tests aren’t conducted in the right way, the charges against you can be dismissed. Our attorneys can dig into the circumstances around your arrest to protect your rights and ensure you have the best defense possible.
If you’ve been arrested for DUI, contact us today for a free consultation. Fighting a DUI might be costly, but fighting it the wrong way could cost you even more.